Thursday, May 5, 2011

Beaucoup Bar and Grill-YES, please!

****
Location: Old Spanish Trail
Price: $$
Reviewed: Dinner
Reviewer: Yas
Attire: Casual
Dining at Beucoup is not an aesthetically pleasing experience, but make no mistake about it, the food is ON POINT. Bring some good company and get ready to experience flavorful and filling Creole inspired food at a great price!

crawfish bread: *****
This appetizer was so so so TASTY. There really is no other way to put it. In fact, I kept saying that to my guest foodie, Chidi, as I kept going back for more. An open faced french bread loaf with a sauteed crawfish sauce topped with mozzarella cheese and baked in the oven. Heaven.



stuffed bell pepper: ****
You know something is good when it reminds of your mom’s cooking. That’s what this dish did for me and I welcomed the nostalgia with open arms and an open mouth. Beaucoup gives you a huge bell pepper filled with crab meat, crawfish and ground beef and rice, and tops it with carrots and parmesan cheese. The 4 star rating is because I didn’t care for the carrots and the parmesan cheese that tasted like it came from the Kraft variety and I would have preferred fresh parmesan cheese or none at all. Both of these ingredients were unnecessary and weren’t adding anything to the dish.  Oh and there was also some random baby spinach leaves on the bottom of the bell pepper that confused me...but I love baby spinach so I ate them happily, while thinking the entire time that Tom Colicchio would have criticized this dish for "lacking focus."



turkey burger: *****
If someone gave me this burger and did not tell me that it was a turkey patty I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference, and I am all about dishes that make me forget that I am eating a healthy option. The patty was seasoned so well and is made fresh daily at the restaurant. Pair this with a wheat bun and you’re definitely winning with this dish. I could have opted for roasted veggies but I wanted to try the fries and was glad I did. They reminded me of Frenchy’s fries (any real Houstonian knows this is a VERY good thing!) with the way they were seasoned and took my back to undergrad days at UH. Cat would’ve been in heaven with this dish because it is truly a great healthy option.



jerk burger: **
This was an ok burger. I happened to split this and my turkey burger with my guest foodie and the whole time I was eating this burger I was regretting that decision and yearning for the other half of the turkey burger. It’s not that it was bad, it just wasn’t seasoned as well as the turkey burger and didn’t really blow me away.



beaucoup wings in spicy barbecue and “beacoup” flavors: *****
People rant and rave about Beaucoup’s wings and after tasting them myself, I will now hop on the bandwagon. The spicy barbecue was exactly that and the “beaucoup” flavor was a mix of cajun spices. YUM to both! The wings are not fried to death and have a good amount of meat on them and are more along the lines of BW3’s and Wings N More as far as size goes. Houston, I have found a new wing spot.

service: ****/ambiance: *
The service was great! The man who took our order at the bar knew everything about the menu and how the food was prepared and made everything sound so delicious. Hence the 55 million things Chidi and I ordered from the menu! HOWEVER, Beaucoup is NOT nice on the eyes. This place is like a dive. The walls are painted in some earth tone, bleh color and there is barely any art on the walls! And when I say barely I mean, there is one painting on your way to the bathroom. The ambiance lends itself more to a 1980’s dormitory cafeteria feel complete with mismatched tables and chairs and dim lighting. Beaucoup could use a makeover, but it is definitely a LIVELY place and the locals love it!

things to note:
1. Beaucoup serves crawfish on the weekends during crawfish season. But get there early because apparently it goes fast!

2. For those looking for a little night life variety, Beaucoup offers “First Fridays” (1st Friday of every month) and has two DJs spinning tunes on both the top and bottom floor.

3. Lastly, rumor has it that Beaucoup offers brunch on the weekends that rivals the Breakfast Klub. This is a serious statement, and I have to eat it to believe it. But when I do, TRUST that their will be a post about it!

No comments: