Tuesday, August 9, 2011

village burger bar - YES, PLEASE!


I mean, goat cheese on a burger? HEAVEN.




*****
Location: West Village
Price: $$
Reviewed: Dinner
Reviewer: Jenn
Attire: Casual
Village Burger Bar features fresh ingredients, including one of my faves: GOAT CHEESE.  The space is casual but chic enough to pair a martini with your juicy cheeseburger.  Plus, they stay open late. So for an after-bar meal, these quality burgers are better than the mystery meat at any other fast food dive.

Sidenote: Yay! This is our first (of many) Dallas posts! Jenn and Cat now live in Dallas, so we'll be splitting our reviews between Dallas and Houston with Yas!

Anyhoo...about Village Burger Bar...
watermelon mojito***
When I walked in, I saw two things on the menu and fell in love: pomegranate martini and goat cheese (not together).  However, I decided to switch things up and choose a more seasonal drink, the watermelon mojito. Unfortunately, it was somewhat watered down, and the watermelon flavor was not authentic, but probably some sort of liqueur. I've had way better mojitos...and they usually involve agave syrup. Just saying.




build to suit burger****
Village Burger Bar has six or seven signature burgers, but you can also make your own burger with a  variety of toppings, and even change up the meat - regular beef, turkey, or chicken. So like I said...goat cheese.  I went for a classic beef burger with goat cheese, pickles, onions, lettuce, and tomato. AND...BASIL MAYO. When I cut into it, I thought, I didn't order avocado...but the basil made the mayo a creamy green, and added SO MUCH herbal flavor to the burger.  

Note: the burgers are cooked medium, but you can get them a little more well done. Oh! And if you want, you can choose wheat buns!


cheddar burger with bleu cheese crumbles: ****
my dinner buddy added bleu cheese to his cheddar burger.  judging by his empty plate at the end of the meal, I already assumed that he loved it. However, with both of us being newbies, we felt a little rushed in ordering.  Had he been better prepared, he said, he would have given the burger 5 stars instead.  What would he have gotten, you ask? The cheddar burger with grilled onions, BBQ sauce, bacon and ranch. And onion rings. Sounds good if you're into that sort of thing.



truffle fries****
Besides goat cheese, I'm all about anything with truffle oil. (There's this amazing pizza place in Victory Park...speck pizza is out of control crazy good).  These fries were light, shoestring cut, crispy, and delicious.  The truffle oil may have been a little on the heavy side, so if you're not into that, just get the regular shoestring fries.

I also heard from my fellow foodie Cat that the sweet potato fries knock it out the park.  And the onion rings looked great as well.

service/ambiance: ****
For a fast food order process, you order at a bar, and your drink is prepared before you finish paying.  Plus, they bring your order to your table, so no waiting around in other patrons' way.  Huge TVs play sports, and the abstract depictions of burgers as artwork is fun and clever. 

Basically, this place was great...and I'm fighting the urge to get in my car and go right now. 

2 comments:

KenGee said...

what? you tease I thought this was a houston burger I could make happen. So hurt... :( love the blog.

Htown HungryGirl

3 Foodies said...

Sorry to get your hopes up! Make sure to visit Village Burger Bar if you ever come to Dallas! Thanks for the blog love!