Friday, June 24, 2011

white chocolate toffee almond cookie bars...WHY NOT?



So, I'm moving soon, so I'm on a mission to get rid of a lot of things I like to keep on hand - almonds, pasta, flour, cake mixes, white chocolate chips, toffee bits, etc. I  wanted something on hand while I study that could go with coffee in the morning or be a nice end to the day.  I was going to make a boring sock-it-to me cake, but thought I'd shake it up and do a little research (instead of learn Texas Criminal Procedure).

Duncan Hines has AMAZING ideas for recipes often using cake mixes in non-cake ways!  I made these cookie bars with a Butter Golden mix I had lying around.  The recipe called for yellow cake mix, but do whatever! In the comments, someone used a chocolate cake mix.  The bars came out with a great consistency.  I only added 1/2 of the almonds required in the recipe...but had I added more, it would have tasted just like these toffee almond bars that Starbucks had a few years ago. OMG.  

For the recipe...
Adapted from Duncan Hines' Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie Bars
*My creative edits

1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Classic Yellow [or Butter Golden Cake] Mix
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips [I used a mix of leftover white chocolate and toffee]
1/2 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts [I used sliced almonds]


Drizzle (optional):
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp shortening

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch pan. [I used Baker's Joy]

For cookie bars, combine cake mix, melted butter, brown sugar, water, eggs, 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and pecans in large bowl. Mix with spoon until thoroughly blended. Spread in pan.

Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.

(Optional) For drizzle, combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds; stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted. Drizzle over cooled bars. Allow chocolate to set before cutting into bars.

Prep time: 10 minutes. Yeah. That easy.

No comments: