Thursday, September 29, 2011

mckinney avenue drive-by (dallas)

BBQ, bacon, and cheddar burger featuring haystack onions




Smashburger
Rating: ****
Location: McKinney Ave.
Price: $$
Reviewed: Lunch, Dinner
Attire: Casual
Reviewer: Jenn

The Cupcakery
Rating: ***
Location: McKinney Ave.
Price: $
Reviewed: Dessert
Attire: Casual
Reviewer: Jenn


I'd been dying to taste Smashburger, even though it's chain (but it only has a few locations in the DFW area, so sue me).  Afterward, I saw the cutest cupcake place a couple of doors down, so I decided to check that out too!  Both places are super casual and great to pop in, sit a while, or take your orders to go.


First up, Smashburger:

classic burger****
I had the Classic burger, which comes with American cheese, ketchup, yellow mustard, onion, pickles, and our smash sauce on an egg bun.  I made my own personal tweaks and added guacamole.  Sounds weird, but guac on a burger is heaven!!!!  The patty was the perfect size for me, not as overwhelming as other restaurant burgers (see Village Burger).  All of the ingredients tasted extremely fresh, and Smashburger has a bunch of other interesting add-ons: fried egg, basic avocado, and even fried pickles!



smash fries**** sweet potato fries***
The smash fries are great!  Tossed in rosemary, olive oil, and garlic, these shoestring cut fries were perfectly crisp and delicious.  The sweet potato fries was tossed in the same mixture, but the garlic and the sweetness of the sweet potato was...different.

sidenote about smashburger: Apparently, there's a rumor that smashburger uses MSG in their food, which can cause people with allergies to it to flare up.  I did some quick research on it, and I couldn't find anything about smashburger and MSG.  But, a friend of a friend with an MSG allergy went there once, and her allergies flared up.  So, if you have an MSG allergy, be careful!

the cupcakery: ***




So I moseyed on over to The Cupcakery and got a strawberry shortcake cupcake.  The cake was light, just like I like it.  Cakes baked from scratch can be heavy like pound cake, which I think takes away from the purpose of a cupcake: light, and eaten in a few bites.  My only gripe about the cupcake was the icing - buttercream (yecch).  Unfortunately I'm one of the few who prefers whipped icing over buttercream, which is just too rich and heavy for me.  But if buttercream is your thing, you'll probably love it.




No comments: