Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chatter's Cafe and Bistro - LOVES it!!

Pita bread and hummus makes Yas a happy girl!

*****

Price: $$ - $$$
Reviewed: Dinner
Reviewer: Yas
Attire: Casual but you can definitely arrive fancy
Location: The Heights

Chatter’s offers “new american cuisine” with a heavy Mediterranean influence. Walking into Chatter’s is like walking into a well decorated and furnished, artsy home with a front porch. You can go inside for an intimate dinner setting, or sit outside on the porch and enjoy the nice Houston weather. Well...when we have nice weather! Perfect for a first date, an intimate dinner with your boo, friends, or family and a great place to take a visitor who wants to experience amazing and affordable Houston food.

Appetizers: The manager gave my sister, Nadine, and I an appetizer sampler on the house, so there’s a lot to talk about!

crab and spinach dip: ****
The ONLY reason this appetizer did not receive a 5-star rating is because it came out warm instead of hot. But, other than that this dip is a crab lover’s paradise. It tasted EXACTLY like the inside of a well-made crab cake. There was a strong crab flavor from the first bite to the after taste. I am not a huge crab fan, so the after taste was a little strong for me, but Nadine is crab-obsessed and loved it!

calamari: ****
The calamari was crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, YUM! The breading was great too but the only thing missing from this appetizer was a dipping sauce! Some spicy aioli or marinara would have been nice, but we squeezed some lemon on top and it was still very tasty! The menu says that it comes with marinara, but since we had so many other options to choose from we found no need to complain.

zucchini fritters: *****
Sooo good! The zucchini tasted as if it had just came out of someone’s garden; fresh and crisp. The breading was well seasoned and crispy without making the zucchini soggy, a factor that texture eaters, like Cat, will definitely appreciate!

tango: *****
This beautifully crafted appetizer came with an artichoke misto (baked artichokes, roasted leeks, spinach and feta cheese), hummus and lots of grilled pita bread, carrots, cucumber and celery. The artichoke misto was TO DIE FOR. All of the flavors came out and complimented each other perfectly. The hummus tasted just like home to me. Perfect balance of chickpeas and tahini, with an emphasis on tahini. I happen to like my hummus with more of a tahini flavor than chickpea, and my sister noted that my Egyptian half was to blame. (Egyptians put tahini on EVERYTHING!) The fresh veggies and grilled pita bread were perfect for dipping. Nadine and I had to pull ourselves away from the “tango” to try the other appetizers! Ah-maze-zing.

hot buffalo wings: *****
Perfection. The breading on the wings was well seasoned and best of all the wings were meaty and juicy. Not like the dry, barely-any-chicken, fried to death wings that sometimes make their way on to my plate from other places. They came with an herby, buttermilk ranch dressing that tasted homemade and buffalo sauce that had a nice kick to it, but wasn’t too spicy. We also had a small assortment of cheddar cheeses to nibble on. If you know me at all, you know that I. LOVE. CHEESE. Suffice it to say, Nadine and I were in foodie heaven and couldn’t wait to try our entrees!

greek salad: *****
Hopefully when I die and make it to Heaven, there will be glorious feasts for every meal. And if I get to have it my way, I would start every meal off with a greek salad. That is how much I love this stuff! Chatter’s serves every entree with a choice of soup or greek salad and Nadine and I both chose the salad. The greek olives were great (and not from a can. YUCK.), the feta cheese had a nice strong flavor, the greens were fresh and crisp, and the house made vinaigrette made this salad go from a “10” to a “15.”

maple dijon chicken: *****
A favorite amongst the staff and patrons, this dish featured slices of grilled chicken breast (marinated to perfection) that were coated with a creamy maple dijon sauce. I cannot even begin to describe the feeling Nadine and I got from this dish. We were both so full from the appetizers but could not stop eating this! The dish came with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables. The garlic mashed potatoes were not full of cream and butter, but instead tasted like actual, good potatoes with just the right amount of garlic. The veggies were not overcooked or undercooked, but were cooked just right. Good God this entree was off the chain!

pan seared tilapia: *****
All I know is that Cat would have LOVED this dish and I was thinking about her the entire time I was devouring it. At first, I was skeptical because afterall, it’s tilapia. But the manager and the waiter recommended this dish and I thought, “What the heck?! Let’s do it!” I was so glad that I did. In my previous post (link), I discuss my love of savory dishes that pair lemon flavors with capers and this dish did this in the most perfect way. The entree came with two huge tilapia fillets and a huge portion of pasta and spinach underneath. The pasta and spinach were coated in a lemon caper butter sauce and were DEE-LISH. The tilapia was seared perfectly and had a slight crust to it. Nadine and I couldn’t finish all of it and I ended up taking the rest of it home. Let’s just say, I put my leftovers in the fridge at 10:05 p.m. and by 10:20 p.m. my Dad came to my room to tell me how amazing “that fish dish” was! Yup. It’s that good.

ambiance: *****
Like I said, this place has the look and feel of a small home with some bad arse decorating! It’s comfy and cozy and has lots of art and cool furniture to gaze at while you wait on your meal. The lighting is slightly dimmed and there are accents walls throughout the restaurant that give it a nice, intimate feel. The main dining room has tons of windows, lending itself to an open atmosphere while also allowing the patron to people gaze at the patrons dining on the front porch and vice versa.

service: *****
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Nadine and I were taken aback by how attentive and generous the manager was and how awesome our waiter was! Both knew the ins and outs of the menu and had GREAT recommendations. Our waiter was super nice and wasn’t pesky or lazy like some waiters. We got to enjoy our meal without being bothered every 10 minutes, but our water glasses were never empty and our pita bread basket stayed full. I would like to give a 3 Foodies shout out to our waiter, Emery, for his amazing service and adorable personality! Well done, sir.

things to note:
1. Although I reviewed dinner, I got to take a peak at the happy hour menu and got super excited. The happy hour menu offers a nice variety of food, ranging from sliders, to fried calamari, to hummus and pita bread. The most expensive thing on the menu, which happens to be mussels, were $7! Wine by the glass is $5! I think this calls for a 3 Foodies reunion in the great city of Houston very soon! Def will be back to review this promising happy hour. But if some of you beat us to the punch, please comment and let us know how you felt about it!

2. Nadine and I are not drinkers, but if we were, we would have def tried Chatter’s boutique selection of wines. The manager told us that Chatter’s offers wines that you cannot find anywhere else. I know Jenn and Cat would have been all about it!
Nadine let me take both entrees home! #winning

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for the review! I plan on going now after your great review!