Thursday, April 21, 2011

Olivia - LOVES it!!

*****

Price: $$
Reviewed: Brunch
Reviewer: Cat
Attire: Casual or Business Casual
Location: South Austin
A fresh and charming restaurant with windows on every wall. This establishment caters to the classy food enthusiast by offering classic dishes with a creative and modern twist. 



Thanks a Lox: ****
I don’t order lox unless I’m in New York. BUT, I ignored that rule today, and I am positively thrilled that I did. Not only was the presentation beautiful, but the house-cured citrus salmon, pumpernickel toast, red onion, capers, and cream cheese were artfully combined to warrant an eye-closing, and audible “Mmmmmm.” The sweet, toasted, and lightly buttered pumpernickel bread was brilliantly coupled with the salty and citrusy salmon. The rich cream cheese and capers were a bonus touch. (I left the onions in their place...raw? No thanks) That said, I just love layers of flavor. So Head-Chef at Olivia...I tip my proverbial hat your way sir/madame/person/whoever you are. Well done.



Mimosas: ****
I ordered the pomegranate mimosa, and my brunch-mate ordered the blood orange mimosa. Both were fresh, citrusy, and delicious. Need I say more?


I had to stand up and take this picture. The dish/meal was too large to capture in my seat.


While my fare was “light,” there are many wonderously...“heavy” items on the menu as well. Some so large, they are more appropriate for two people...or more. For instance, my brunch-mate ordered the Willie Nelson Chicken Fried Steak. This meal consisted of a whopping 6 oz of breaded steak covered in smoked brown gravy. Two lightly fried eggs adorned the beef, along with thick and buttery, herbed smashed potatoes. Oh...but I’m not finished. A large chopped salad slathered in buttermilk dressing was placed on the side of the dish just for good measure.

The meal was monstrous. While I don’t eat red meat, my brunch-mate positively danced with delight. He indicated that there was a light spice in the breading mixture. I did however taste the rest of his meal. Everything was rich and flavorful! And heavy. Except for the salad...there was more buttermilk dressing than lettuce.

Service:****
Notwithstanding the fact that the brunch menu changes slightly every week, our waiter was extremely knowledgeable. He was attentive and engaging without being pushy. He was spot on with all of his recommendations, and appeared to sincerely love his job. I wish I'd written down his name! He definitely deserves a 3 Foodies shout out!


Ambiance: *****
The walls alternate between a clean ivory and a lace-patterned wallpaper. The primary color highlighting the otherwise fresh ambiance, are the bright, olive green seats. "Olive"..."Olivia"...gotta love it! The decorations alternate between this beautiful olive green, and bright red flowers throughout the restaurant. The dining area is lit with copious amounts of natural light that shines through the huge windows lining 3/4 of the room. A beautiful, open, classy, and modern feel. Overall, Olivia is a must! Brunch away friends. *Cheers!*



1 comment:

Liz said...

Nice catch with the color "olive", and the name "Olivia"! You must be an artist or something. :) Anywho, great review! I'm about to graduate from college, and I am on the look out for fabulous places for 20-somethings to go to! I'll definitely have to add Olivia to my list as a great brunch spot.

Can't wait for another review!