Sunday, April 17, 2011

Parkside - YES Please!

****
  • Price: $
  • Reviewed: Happy Hour
  • Attire: Casual chic (but feel free to get jazzy)
  • Location: East Sixth Street
  • Short Description: With the weather getting warmer, head to the sixth street you never see during the day and sit on Parkside’s rooftop patio.  If it’s too hot, head inside to the swanky indoor space with its loft style and hardwood floors.  This happy hour, honestly, cannot be beat.

strawberry sunrise: ***
JENN: The strawberry sunrise wasn’t sickeningly sweet or filled with food colorings.  The ingredients used for their cocktails are all fresh, which explained why the drinks took a bit of time before they arrived at our table.  But it was well worth the wait.  Refreshing. Delicious. And half off! Um, can you beat a martini that’s under $5? I don’t think so!

lamb burger:  ****
JENN: The lamb burger featured a patty mixed with brisket and topped with feta cheese.  The pickles tasted so fresh (no jarred hamburger slices here).  I ordered mine medium well, and it was so juicy and flavorful.  My only complaint – I’m not a big fan of the unwieldy, restaurant burger, so handling it became a problem.  But I just ended up eating with a knife and fork and quiet enjoyed myself. Oh, and the fries? GET THE PARKSIDE FRIES. That’s all I got.


calamari:  ****
JENN: The seafood at Parkside is so fresh.  I’ve had calamari at quite a few restaurants, and this was hands down the best, freshest calamari I’ve ever had.  I would’ve preferred a little more salt and a traditional aioli, but everything was delish!

lump crab fritters: ****
CAT: These 6 delectable lumps are filled with fresh crab meat and petit choux, a light pastry dough. They are far lighter than a crab cake, but with a similar breading. The thin, crunchy outside, coupled with the fluffy, rich inside make for a delightful appetizer for two, at a wonderful price. Don’t be afraid of the creamy sauce ravigote. The sweet/tangy flavor compliments the fritters nicely. So dip away friends! It’s well worth it.

ceviche: ***
CAT:This classic dish features a delightful combination of salmon, bass, tomato, onion, jalapeno, zing zang bloody mary mix, and slices of avocado. Initially, the dish was placed in front me with an air of flair...sans any pita crisps, slices of bread, or any type of baked dough to spread the ceviche over. So I shrugged and dug in with my fork. It was delicious! Brilliant even. No one element overpowered another. Everything was fresh, and the ceviche itself was a rich combination of sweet, salty, and fishy. Noticing my lack of breading however, the waiter rushed off and returned with a bowl full of...Zesta saltine crackers. These generic, run of the mill, factory wrapped squares abruptly yanked my rating from a “LOVES it” to a “YES Please.” And they had the audacity to put them in a nice bowl.




korean spring martini:  *****
CAT:A refreshing blend of Shochu (a Japanese liquor comparable to vodka), a splash of Bombay Saphire Gin, lemon juice, and sugar, this is the perfect drink on a warm afternoon when you just want to relax. Think of sipping a tall, ice-cold glass of lemonade as you rock back and forth on a porch in the middle of summer. It’s like that. But sexier. I’m generally partial to sweet drinks, however this mixture was a welcome reprieve from my usual cavity-inducing ‘tini. Delish! And refreshing.



ambiance/service: ***
JENN: Usually eating outside isn’t my thing (I had a horrifying childhood experience with a fly landing directly in my tartar sauce at Pappadeaux…) but the breeze was so nice, I couldn’t resist.  Once you pair this with fresh seafood and cocktails, it’s heavenly.  This restaurant does not have that exceptionally laidback, come barefoot, traditional (or non-traditional Austin) feel.  It’s definitely pandering to the yuppie crowd (and we love that, don’t we!).  


The service was ok. While the waitstaff was extremely knowledgeable, some of our requests were delayed, or even worse, forgotten.  Still, after having everything aforementioned, Cat and I split a bill that came to $15/each (before tax).  So…yeah, I’m going back.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog is perfect for someone like me...a somewhat (ok, fine..a FULL ON) picky eater who doesn't trust the opinion of just anyone when it comes to new dishes and restaurants.

Based on this review, I plan to find myself on Parkside's rooftop in the near future.

Thanks ladies!

~J. Kemp

Unknown said...

Jenn I love your lipstick! Your beautiful! And Cat, you look super classy. Everything looks so good and I lol'd at the Zesta crackers. Love yalls blog!

3 Foodies said...

thanks! parkside was awesome! I (Jenn) am trying to find an excuse to go back (even though it's kind of my job to keep it moving and finding new places for you all)!