Wednesday, October 19, 2011

delivery, anyone? (the wok and grubhub)



The Wok

Rating: ***
Location: Oak Lawn
Price: $
Reviewed: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Attire: I was definitely in PJs...they came to me!
Reviewer: Jenn


After watching the TX/OU game (hook 'em!) on Saturday (which had a way too early kickoff time), I was exhausted and too disheartened to brave the crazy Dallas traffic...or look presentable.  Thus began my hunt for a great delivery place.  (I originally searched for good Indian takeout...but was disappointed. I won't give up, however.)

I stumbled upon a great and free app for the iPhone called GrubHub, which searches for takeout/delivery near your location, gives you the menu, and lets you order all at once.  Be forewarned however, once I got my order (with the requisite menu for next time), I noticed that The Wok doesn't charge for delivery, but I definitely paid a $2 fee (which is how GrubHub makes their money, of course).  However, some places don't have a fee on the app.  Check it out!

For the review of this American Chinese fare...



pan fried dumplings: ***
So, their minimum order is $10. Which meant that I had to indulge in a bunch of things that I normally wouldn't have.  I like dumplings, so I was excited to see what The Wok had to offer.  For $5, you got 10 dumplings (way too many for lil' ol' me)!  The dumplings were good, but by the time that they got to my house, they were a little cold. And hard to reheat (a trip to the microwave made them soggy).  If you're a picky carnivore, I would suggest calling ahead.  I have no idea what kind of meat was inside. But...it was probably pork.  So be forewarned.

The sauce showed promise...until it got all over my kitchen floor.

egg roll: ***
This was another addition to meet the $10 minimum! The egg roll was crispy, crunchy, crunchy fried...but the meat inside was kinda chewy. [insert sad face]. I only got halfway through this one.

shrimp fried rice: ****
Usually, I would go pick up a huge order of shrimp fried rice from P.F. Chang's when I need a Chinese fix. (Or, I get the shrimp lo mein from the frozen food section at the grocery store - YUM!).  So, I was comparing The Wok's version to my usual standby.  The amount of rice that I was given was almost overwhelming! And it wasn't just rice; the order was overflowing with shrimp. (And they were all properly deveined!!! You have no idea what this means to me!)  For $7.95...this was a brilliant deal.


No comments: