Friday, October 7, 2011

taco diner - meh/yum



Rating: ***
Location: Uptown
Price: $$
Reviewed: Dinner
Attire: Casual, but feel free to get a little jazzy
Reviewer: Jenn

Taco Diner definitely embraces the diner ambiance while serving mostly tacos and Mexican food.    The mambo taxis are strong and delightful, but the tacos somewhat missed the mark for me.

queso blanco: ****
This dish was delicious, with a great smattering of beef mixed in. Unfortunately, it filled me up before I got to the main course.    The chips could've used a bit more salt, but I took care of that.


bistec tacos: ***
Each order of tacos comes with four tacos, and a saucer of garnishes that you can use to make your own "flavor profile."  The garnishes included onions, fresh cilantro, a very spicy salsa, and sliced lime. But all of that extra work that I had to do was overwhelming and nothing much fit on the taco besides the basics that it came with.  Also, the meat wasn't tender, but instead it was very chewy.  I don't know if another meat would have been a better option, or even another meal altogether.  However, bistec tacos were what people usually order, so I went for it.  Yet, I walked away unimpressed.



mambo taxi*****
Now, this was a dream.  The perfect blend of margarita and sangria.  But I love sangria margaritas, so I'm easy to please.  Because this and the queso were the highlights of the meal, I'd stick to hitting Taco Diner for happy hour, not for a real meal.  

I say, skip the tacos, stick to the drinks and queso.

No comments: