Monday, October 10, 2011

hattie's double whammy! (brunch and lunch)

One of our friends ordered the buttermilk fried chicken with tasso ham gravy.  OMG, TASSO HAM IS THE BEST!!!

Rating: ****
Price: $$
Reviewed: Brunch, Lunch
Attire: Dressy Casual (Brunch), Business Casual (Weekday Lunch)
Reviewer: All 3 Foodies! 


First up, brunch!



lobster bisque: ****
Jenn:  When I heard that lobster bisque was the soup du jour, I knew that I had to order it!  I never pass up lobster bisque.  This one was a beautiful creamy broth, and was sooo good, I had to shoo away the waitress when she informed me that my meal was coming out.  Unfortunately, I got pretty full off the bisque, which led me being disappointed in my main course.

Yas: OH.EM.GEE. Soo freakin good + what Jenn said!




hattie's hangtown scramble: ***
Jenn: My usual brunch order is two eggs, over hard, with hashbrowns, and some kind of sausage.  If it has hollandaise sauce, I'll go that way instead.  But this hangtown scramble was like nothing I'd ever seen on a menu:  herb scrambled eggs and bacon-wrapped fried oysters, topped with parmesan shavings & hollandaise drizzle.  So, seeing the hollandaise, I picked this dish.  But...I was already full of lobster bisque when this extra heavy dish came out, and it was hard to even make a dent in it.  I don't know if I'd give it a second try, however.  It was all...just...MUCH.


macaroni and cheese: ****
Jenn:  I liked the macaroni and cheese.  Great, creamy, cheesy, and delicious.  Enough said.


Yas: Yes, yes and more yes! Did I say, yes?!



buttermilk fried chicken: ****
Yas: I have had my fair share of chicken and waffles, and while Hattie's was pretty good, it was not the best (see: Breakfast Klub, Max's Wine Dive).  Nevertheless, the chicken was juicy and moist, and the waffle was lightly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Pretty good!  Only problem was that the dish comes with a "red pepper maple syrup." Gross, right? Right. But not to worry, I asked for a side of regular maple syrup and all was right with the world once again.

mimosas: ***
Jenn: Unlike most brunch places, Hattie's does not have bottomless mimosas.  And a single mimosa is $8! Kinda much for something so small in a champagne glass.  The mimosas tasted fresh (I ordered a grapefruit mimosa), but still, $5 is a much more reasonable price for a brunch libation.



service/ambience: ****
Hattie's has a beautiful, clean space that feels like an extra classy diner.  Windows let in loads of natural light, making you feel a lot less guilty about eating such rich food.  Our waitress was a dream, and the staff quickly solved a problem regarding the swine content of our macaroni and cheese. (Rest easy, there isn't any bacon in the mac & cheese. But, it's almost in everything else...).

Next up? Lunch!!



Fritz Windisch Riesling 2009 ****
Cat: This crisp Riesling was exactly what I needed during a late lunch! This Riesling expresses a wonderful floral aroma with peaches and a good body. It is a kabinett so it has a higher acidity level. Overall, a great pairing with my fish entree!







Hattie's House Salad *****
Cat: This field green salad is covered in candied cayenne pecans and grape tomatoes. It's tossed in a sweet balsamic vinaigrette. This salad was delicious and (moderately) healthy. All of Hattie's vegetables are purchased from local farmers, so freshness is guaranteed!



Today's Featured Fish *****
Cat: This white fish was tender and well seasoned. The house-made mustard sauce was a bit spicy, and added a bit of "umph" to an already fabulous dish. The combination of sweet (fresh organic tomatoes) with bitter (perfectly cooked spinach) complimented the fish tremendously. Overall, a fabulous entree.


Key-Lime Pie *****
Cat: This pie was to DIE for...LITERALLY a light, slice of heaven. It was punchy, sharp, sweet, and fresh. While the graham-cracker crust was a bit thin for my liking, the consistency was perfect; simultaneously moist and crunchy with a hint of cinnamon. A must-try for the Hattie's newbie. Enjoy!




1 comment:

KenGee said...

TASSO HAM IS THE BEST MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER!!!!